Thursday, November 3, 2011

Whovian Wednesdays Bonus Post: My TARDIS Costume

 TARDIS Costume_6
Top: Old Navy
Skirt and Headband: Self-made
Purse: Thrifted and re-worked
Socks: Target
Saddle Shoes: Bass
TARDIS Costume_3

After many hours and a some revisions, here is what I wore for Halloween, my 50's inspired TARDIS costume. The skirt wasn't too hard to make besides having to sew the zipper which I'm still a novice at, but it was everything else that took a lot of time. The petticoat was the most time consuming, having to sew the rows and rows of tulle, but I like it much better than having to buy one. 



Then it came to how I was going to decorate the skirt. At first I wanted it to be like the TARDIS with panels on the front of the skirt. Instead, I decided to make a mimic the poodle appliques that usually are on a skirt like this. I made a TARDIS applique and had eleven stars following it. The stars represent the eleven Doctors.

TARDIS Costume _1

TARDIS Costume_5

I tried making two different type of light toppers for my head, but I wasn't feeling them. So I made some flowers out of the leftover felt, covered it with glitter, and yellow gems on the center part. The final thing was this purse made to look like the Police sign. I took a plain structured bag and covered it with felt and wrapped the handles with ribbon. I then took some white cloth to write out the sign. 

TARDIS Costume_7 


 TARDIS Costume_2
Overall I really like the way it turned out and now I have a costume I can wear to conventions. I'm also thinking of sewing up another skirt, perhaps a Guild version.

I also wanted to mention that I am the new Admin for the Tumblr site Matt Smith in Places He Shouldn't Be. It's the same as the David Tennant site, but with the 11th Doctor. The site has changed a lot of hands since it was created last month, I'm their third Admin, but I'll be there for the long haul. So follow me there and you can always submit things to the site.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

This has to be one of the most creative TARDIS-inspired costumes I've ever seen. Love it! Also, I love that Matt Smith where he shouldn't be tumblr. It's quite amusing. :)