Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Game On

 
Dress: American Eagle Outfitters
Denim Jacket: Gap
Ring: Charlotte Russe
Day four, Saturday was the busiest day of  Comic-Con by far. More people, more costumes, more craziness. I planned on going the special Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Experience at the Hilton Gaslamp Courtyard across from the convention center which opened at 10am, but when I got there around 9:30am the line went around the hotel room, which brings me to....

Comic-Con Lesson #3: There will be lines.
Lines are inevitable. Something I learned quickly on preview night. So either get there early so you can be near the front of the line or have a book or music player in hand and be prepared to wait up to 2+ hours. Also, really utilize the map that comes in the program guide. They show where the lines start and end for each of the panel rooms. If I paid closer attention to it, I would have know to check for the end of the line first and not be shocked by the line. 
Instead, I walked through the exhibition floor again taking more pictures and trying out some of the games they had there. I played  Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies for the Nintendo DS and was fun. The last "game" I played have been Farmtown and Cafe World and I don't think they really count as real games. :P I might have to get myself  some type of gaming system soon. I also tried out the Playstation Move. It's similar to the Nintendo Wii, but it was weird using it. The controllers have these glowing orbs on the ends and I felt like I was one of those airport workers directing the plane when I used it.

It was also Star Wars day, so there was there was Star Wars costumes abound. No I didn't take any pictures of girls in the Princess Leia Slave costume :P , but I did take pictures of others in costume. Here are some of them...
 

And my favorite...


It was around 12:30 when I made my way over the Indigo Ballroom over at the Hilton for The Guild and Community panels. Of course there was a line, but I was still able to get in and sat through the Sanctuary panel. 

Comic-Con Lesson #4: You will sit through other panels in order to be at the panel you came for.

Then came two hours of awesome. First off was The Guild panel. The cast was so surprised that the ballroom was filled to its 2,663 capacity. I was happy that they moved to a larger hall space because from what I heard last year a lot more people weren't able to go to the panel.


Not only did they show episode 3 of the new season, but they also debuted their new music video, which producer Kim Evey cleverly said was episode 4.
I didn't think they could top "(Do You Wanna Date My) Avatar." But they did with "Game On" in all it's Bollywood glory.

<a href="http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&amp;from=sp&amp;fg=shareObject&amp;vid=8cb424dc-cbdb-40be-90c5-8fb450462d2f" target="_new" title="Season 4 - Music Video - "Game On"">Video: Season 4 - Music Video - "Game On"</a>

The crowd was going wild when the video was on. It was great and I would totally put the song on a work-out mix, if I ever, ahem, work out. :P 
Felicia Day, Wil Wheaton, Sandeep Parikh
 Other interesting things that happened during the panel:
  • Wil Wheaton really enjoys his role as Fawkes. It gives him a chance to play a character that not only viewers hate but he hates too, since it goes against his whole not being a dick.
  • During the audience Q&A, someone asked director Sean Becker what kind of camera he used to film the episodes and after Sean answered the question, someone yelled out "boring!" In which Felicia replied, "Do we have a troll in the audience?" Then I think Sean said "Get him." Not to worry, until like what happened in Hall H that day, no one got stabbed in the eye. 
  • Also during the audience Q&A, a guy dressed as Col. Sanders offered Vincent Caso, who plays Bladezz, a job at KFC is his job at Cheesy Beards (where his character works) doesn't work out. Felicia was like "Why is he offering a job to a guy that already has a job?" Which prompted Wil to respond with "Welcome to Comic-Con" and the crowd went wild.
Vincent Caso, Jeff Lewis

Sandeep, Amy Okuda, Robin Thorsen
 Hour two of awesomeness came in the form of the Community panel. With the whole cast, producers, and creator Dan Harmon there, it was yet another fun hour. One of the first questions that was asked was how Harmon was going to top the brilliant "Modern Warfare" episode, he replied that he wants to send them to outer space next season. Also upon seeing the standing ovation from the crowd, Gillian Jacobs (Britta) cried happy tears, which was really sweet. If I was in her position, I would too.

Joel McHale and Alison Brie


Gillian Jacobs, Chevy Chase, Yvette Nicole Brown and producers Anthony Russo and Joe Russo.
Donald Glover, Danny Pudi and producers Russ Krasnoff, Neil Goldman, and Garret Donovan
 Some other highlights from the panel:
  • When asked where he finds time to sleep between doing Community and The Soup, Joel McHale replied, "I sleep during my stand-up gigs." He's also still trying to surpass Ryan Seacrest in the job department. 
  • Also Donald Glover and Danny Purdi gave the audience two little musical ditties. The first one is "Donde esta la Biblioteca" and the second one is "Somewhere Out There" from An American Tail
 


After those two great panels, I took a break from Comic-Con and met up with my friend Ashley for lunch, girl talk, and some shopping at the mall next to my hotel. Then later that night I went back downtown with my brother for a special screening of the movie Hesher

Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Rain Wilson, Natalie Portman, Piper Laurie, and Devin Brochu. The movie is about how a loner named Hesher (Gordon-Levitt) somewhat befreinds T.J. (Brochu) and his father Paul (Wilson) both who are still grieving the death of their mom/wife two months prior. It was an quirky movie, my brother said it reminded him of The Squid and the Whale

Leave it to Joseph Gordon-Levitt to make me like a character that should be undesirable. He was greasy and dirty, had a tendency to either blow things up or set fire to him, and was vulgar. I guess it's that bad boy character we love to hate. 
As a bonus, the movie was introduced by the director of the film Spencer Susser along with Devin Brochu and Natalie Portman. She's just a beautiful in person. 


I ended the night eating Cup-a-Noodle and watching the unedited version of Shaun of the Dead on Comedy Central. To think that my Comic-Con experience was drawing to a close. 

I'll leave you with pictures I took on Saturday...



3 comments:

Lindsey Anne said...

Love your coverage of Comic-Con this year! Got to vicariously live through your experience since I wasn't able to go this time. And I'm super jealous that you were thisclose to Natalie Portman. I love her!

The Body Electric said...

EEEEE! Joel McHale!!! I could have made an idiot of myself.

Stephanie said...

EEEEE! Joel McHale!!! I could have made an idiot of myself.