Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Beat and Dragon, Adored

Skirt: Old Navy
Sandals: Payless

Day three of Comic-Con started off without a hitch. Got a decent amount of sleep and had my morning coffee. Plus this year, there was a shuttle service from the hotel to the convention center, so I didn't have to worry about driving and the dreaded paying for parking. It was nice just relaxing and enjoying the 20-30 min shuttle ride before the Comic-Con craziness. When I got there, I saw that the outside line for Hall H was non-existent. The prospect of not having to wait in line for once? Count me in for that one. So once I got out of the shuttle, I made a bee-line to Hall H and I was able to walk right in. Score! I was wondering why the hall was not full and I realized that the panel was for Drive Angry 3D starring Nicolas Cage. Sorry for any Nicolas Cage fans who read my blog, but I don't find him as a compelling actor. I'll sum it up with a quote from Gilmore Girls:

Rory: A cool B&B?
Lorelai: Yes
Rory: That's like saying an understated Nicolas Cage movie. 

Basically the movie deals with Cage avenging the death of his daughter while trying to find her kidnapped baby. A maybe B-grade movie that's in 3D. Yay we need more of those. :P
After sitting through that panel and one more for the alien invasion movie Skyline, it finally was time for the panel I really wanted to see, Super. Directed by James Gunn of Slither fame, it has all-star cast that includes Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page, Liv Tyler, Kevin Bacon, Nathan Fillion, and Michel Rooker.  


In the movie, Wilson is Frank, your average guy who falls in love with Sarah (Tyler) and marries her. However she starts to use drugs and falls under the influence of drug dealer, Jacques (Bacon). It's up to Frank to rescue his wife under the superhero guise of The Crimson Bolt. Page plays Libby, Franks crazy sidekick, Boltie. When watching the unfinished trailer, it reminded me a little of Kick Ass, the whole regular person turning into a superhero vigilante. 

Here's part of the panel:

Everyone except Kevin Bacon was there, he had a show back east and couldn't make it. :(  But the panel was hilarious. During the panel Page mentioned that there's a scene where her character has her way with Frank. Hearing that I know it's going to be horribly awkward and inappropriate. Also during the audience Q&A, someone asked who would win if Dwight (Wilson's character from The Office)  and Mal (Fillion's character from Firefly/Serenity) got into a fight. This is how it went down: 


I don't know when the movie is coming out, but I can't wait to watch it.

After the panel, I did some walking around downtown San Diego which leads me to...

Comic-Con Lesson #2: It's probably best if you bring a backpack. 

I thought that my over sized shoulder bag would be fine. But even when I had it crossed over my body, the weight of it but a strain on my right shoulder. Add walking at least 5 blocks and it was just became uncomfortable. So next year, I'm going to get a backpack and bring a smaller shoulder back just to put my cards and cash in. Also when you get your badge, the give you a huge bag that's almost 4ft tall. While it's cool, it's not very practical to use as everyday bag during the Con. 

I got a quick bite to eat over at Java Jones Coffeehouse. I found out about the place through Groupon, a website where each day there's a deal for things such as restaurants, tours, etc. The Groupon I had for the coffeehouse was a $20 gift certificate. So I got a strawberry crepe, iced coffee and a brownie to go. The crepe was really good, it looked liked they used whole wheat flour for the crepe and I had the best iced coffee. I still have some credit left on my certificate so I'm definitely going back the next time I'm in downtown. 

Earlier in the day, I got a flyer for this free concert over in Petco Park. It was for this TV.com Now Awards Show. I've never heard of this web-site, but when I read who was going to perform, the Softpack, V.V. Brown, Spoon, I had to go. So around 4pm I stood in line to get into the concert and was able to get in and be in the front row. I have to say it was the most random awards show I have even been to. It was voted by the fans on-line, but some of the winners were just head-scratchers. Kristin Cavallari voted as Style Star? Ok. At least it was hosted by the Daily Show's John Oliver. Whether it's cracking jokes about the lack of people in Petco Park or taking a heckle from a 10 year-old girl, he made the "awards show" enjoyable to be apart of.  
To be honest I really wanted to go just for Spoon. For their 25 min set, they killed it. Some of the songs they performed where "The Beat and Dragon, Adored"(where the post title comes from), "Don't Make Me a Target." and "Don't You Evah." I was able to sneak some pictures of their performance. But since I had to be stealth, it's not full on shots of the band. When finally saw the few pictures I shot, it came out very artsy. Well that's what I think. :P


After wards, I went back to the convention center to take more pictures and ended the day by having dinner with my friend Lelia at P.F. Changs. Yum! 



So Colorful!

Tron Banners that surround the downtown area
I love Comic-Con in San Diego! I hope it stays here for years to come.
Attendees waiting for the trolley


5 comments:

Lindsey Anne said...

Great reports! :)

Bren said...

How fun Stephanie! That Rainn Wilson movie sounds great! And I totally agree with you about Nick Cage. I pretty much hate most of his movies, with the exception of his 80's movies like Valley Girl, Peggy Sue Got Married and Moonstruck.

xoxo,
Bren @ Chasing Beauty

The Body Electric said...

YES YES! SO true about Nicholas cage!!! UGH!

I'm am so excited to see this movie though, I LOVE all of these actors and it's been SOOOO long since Liv has done anything (I'm assuming her recent separation has brought her back to work :-( that makes me so sad)

You're outfit is AWESOME! Ah, Dr. Horrible! Sooo wonderful!

Bren said...

Btw, forgot to tell you how much I LOVE your Dr. Horrible shirt!!!
So perfect for ComiCon!

xoxo,
Bren @ Chasing Beauty

Stephanie said...

How fun Stephanie! That Rainn Wilson movie sounds great! And I totally agree with you about Nick Cage. I pretty much hate most of his movies, with the exception of his 80's movies like Valley Girl, Peggy Sue Got Married and Moonstruck.

xoxo,
Bren @ Chasing Beauty