Saturday, February 16, 2013

Crafturday: Lace Doily Collar

As a way to get back to blogging on a regular basis, I decided to start this weekly post. I love doing crafts, ever since I was a little kid. However, for the past few years I stopped making things and let my crafting supplies languish in my room. But in the past few months, I've been tapping back into my cratfy side and I want to share some of the projects I've been doing lately. 

This first project is a fairly easy project. No sewing machine required. In fact it can be a no-sew project if you want. 


Lace Collar Tops


Although lace collars have been around for the past few seasons, I can't get enough of them. I think have 4-5 of them sitting in my closet right now. But acquiring them can be costly, so here's an easy and inexpensive way to make your own with items you can find at the thift store or in your own closet.

Materials: 
  • Top or Sweater - you can use almost any neckline. Just make sure you have enough of the doily to cover a good portion of the top/sweater. 
  • Doily (or lace)
  • Fray Block
  • Needle and Thread (or fabric glue)
  • Straight pins
  • Sicssors  


 Directions:

  • Cut the doily in half. Note: The doily I have pictured below is the one I ended up not using when I realized I cut in half the wrong way. Oops! Luckily I had another one on hand I used pieces from the botched doily to make it longer. I also plan on using the scraps for another project. 
  • Take the fray block and run it against the cut portion of the doily.

  • Use straight pins to pin the doily to the collar area of the top. This is a good way to make sure the doily ends are centered in the middle.

  • Sew the doily to the top. Depending on what kind of doily (or lace) you use, you might need a sewing machine. I was able to hand sew on every top circle area. 



There you have it, a brand new lace collar top to wear! Check back next week to see another Crafturday project. 




No comments: