Thursday, August 4, 2011

Comic-Con Recap: Saturday

Friday was fun, but Saturday was totally awesome. It was also the only day I wore a costume and I decided to wear my Penny costume. I thought it turn out good. I bought a red wig for the outfit, but when I put it on it just didn't look right, so I ditched it.

penny costume
 Cardigan, Top and Skirt: Old Navy
Necklace and Ring: Forever 21
Sandals: Payless

Even though I had my little yogurt cup, most of the other convention goers thought I was a modern update on Snow White. Hey at least I was recognized as something. Just replaced the poisoned apple with poisoned fro-yo.

Before I went in line to get into the one panel I really wanted to go to at, The Guild, I did even more exploring and picture taking. 

Genki Mobile
Pedestrian Bridge
Bumblebee
Frank
Even though I took a picture with Frank (from Donnie Darko), he did not influence me to do criminal acts.

Star Wars Car
Artist Ken Lashley spent Comic-Con drawing some amazing Star Wars artwork on a Volkswagen Passat.

Star Wars Car_2
Star Wars Car_3
Spiderman_2
Tardis Girls
I loved these girls TARDIS dresses
The one panel I didn't want to miss was of course The Guild's. It didn't start until 4pm, but I was already waiting in line at noon. So I was in line for about 2 1/2 hours before I was able to get into the Indigo Ballroom at the Hilton, but it was worth it. 
After a little AV snafu, where the video and audio was all mixed up,  they showed a recap of the past 4 seasons that was narrated by the one and only Randall of Honeybadger Don't Care Fame. They also showed the audience the first episode of season 5 which I enjoyed because for the first time the group is really out of their home element by going to a gaming convention. There was no music video premire this year since Felicia has been busy with her next web series based on the Dragon Age video game and filming on the TV show Eureka. But she did say there could be one in the fall. Yay!
Kim and Sean
Producer Kim Evey and director Sean Becker
Guild Panel_4
The Guild cast: Felicia Day (who's also writes the series), Sandeep Parikh, Amy Okuda, Vincent Caso, Robin Thorsen and Jeff Lewis

Guild Panel_5
Guild Jones Soda

 How awesome is this? The cast is going to be on Jones Soda bottles!

When the panel was done, I made my way back to the hotel and got ready for the live Nerdist Podcast over at 4th &B.  I've been listening to the Nerdist Podcast since the first episode with Thomas Lennon, so when I heard that they were going to do a live show during Comic-Con, I had to go. When I got my ticket, they didn't mentioned who the special guests were going to be and later on found it with was Matt Smith and Karen Gillan of Doctor Who. Mind you, this was before I really got into the show. I kept hearing about this show about Doctor and his contraption called a TARDIS and I watched a few episodes of season 1 but that was the extent of it. But it was such a fun podcast to be at and it piqued my interest for the show even more and now two weeks later, its now one of my favorite shows.
Nerdist Podcast_3
If that wasn't enough there was another special guest, the one and only Wil Wheaton which made it an even more awesome podcast. Since him and host Chris Hardwick have been friends since they were teenagers, they have great comradery. I also hate to say this because I like them too, but there were times that I totally forgot that Chris's co-hosts Matt Mira and Jonah Ray were there. Especially when Matt and Karen were on stage. But despite that, there were still funny moments during the taping. 

  • Wil mentioned a friend that would have Doctor Who parties and his friend created a TARDIS that served as the entrance to his house. How cool is that!
Matt Smith didn't know that Wil played Gordie in Stand by Me and was floored when found out. Matt then kept saying "Leeches, leeches!"

  • Of course there would be mentions of Star Trek.
  • An audience member had a Steven Moffat puppet and was brought upstage for Matt and Karen to see.

  • To prep for his role as the Doctor, Matt Smith would read a book of Einstein quotes while in the loo. 
Nerdist Podcast_5
Nerdist Podcast_6  You can listen to the podcast here and as a parting gift, everyone in the audience was given a TARDIS burrito. Why a burrito you ask? Ever since the podcast with Rainn Wilson, Chris says "Enjoy Your Burrito" and the end and it has been like that ever since. Matt and Karen were even handing out the burritos, but it got a little crazy so they had to leave early and hand off the burrito passing to someone else.
Enjoy Your Burrito
I certainly enjoyed this burrito!

Later on I went over to The El Dorado Cocktail Lounge where my friend Leila was hosting a Sin-City Noir style party. If I lived in San Diego, this would definitely be a place to hang out. Not only did it have awesome music, great drinks and fun decor, but they also had old TV shows and movies playing on the TVs by the bar. When I was there, one screen was showing an old Episode of Doctor Who with Tom Baker as the 4th doctor while the other one had a Planet of the Apes movie from the 60's or 70's (don't remember which one it was).
I had tons of fun but it was also  sad because I knew that Sunday would be the last day of Comic-Con and I me (along with thousands of other attendees) didn't want it to end.


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ah, even more cool pictures to make me jealous! The panel sounds like it was awesome. Also, I like your costume! It's been entirely too long since I watched Doctor Horrible. :)

Megan said...

I LOVE your Penny costume and the fro-yo is the perfect touch! I am also crazy jealous that you got to see the Guildies.

It looks like you had a fantastic time though! Thanks for sharing pictures and stories so I can live vicariously through you. ^_^

Samantha Marie said...

Love your outfit, Love the Photos, and Love all the Comic Con stories!! :D Thanks for sharing all the goodness with us! :D