Friday, January 7, 2011

Friend Friday: Under Pressure

I started participating in Fashion Beauty Friend Friday aka: FBFF. Where each week Katy of Modly Chic posts a few questions for fellow bloggers to answer. Hopefully I will be able to make this a weekly feature.


Here's the topic from Katy for this week:


"As I was reading through everyone's new years resolutions and where they want their blogs to be I got to thinking how easy it is to become discouraged by some of the very successful blogs out there, or the ones we perceive as successful. We compare ourselves and suddenly find that we are lacking. So this week we are going to be talking about that."
 
1. Have you ever looked at someone's blog and thought yours will never measure up?
 
I would be lying if I haven't. Sometimes I'll read blogs where it seems like they have some endless disposable income or sponsorships that allow them to get the best brands or never wear the same item twice. Or they have the most amazing pictures because they had their friend or significant other, who happens to be a photographer, take if for them. But you can only measure up yourself to other bloggers before you start going mad thinking you're never good enough. I seriously don't want to become the Nina of the blogging world and start growing keyboards on my back. That's right, I added a Black Swan reference to this answer. :P


2. Do you (did you) feel pressure to meet some kind of undefined standard for fashion bloggers?

I still feel some pressure from time to time, mostly from myself, because I'll see other bloggers all of a sudden get 100+ followers in a course of a month and I still can't get 50. I wonder what am I not doing right to garner more fans. But I realize that I should post what I want to post and if people read it like it and want to follow me then that's cool.

3. Many established fashion bloggers are also extraordinary DIYers, bakers, and crafty people. Do you think you need to combine all of these things to be successful at blogging?

I don't think a blogger needs to combine all those things in order to be sucessful. I mean it might help, but it's not necessary. I would rather read a blog that only focused on one idea but it had great content than a blog that tries combine those things but is excruciating to read.
 
4. The most successful blogs are the ones that have their own personal voice - how are you developing your voice or how did you find yours?

Even though I've had my blog for three years, I feel like I'm now starting to develop my own voice. Partly because I've been posting more frequently. For me I want my blog to more like a conversation so my readers don't feel like they are reading some sterilized blog post. I try to add some wit (emphasis on try), and pop culture references. I think one of the things I want to work on is not to hesiate with what I want to say on this blog. Sometimes I'll write something on my blog only to delete and change it before I publish it because I don't think it's funny/informative/deep enough. I should just write what comes to mind.
Oh and also proofread. :P

5. Toot your own horn... what's one thing you do that is unique to you and your blog?

What gives your blog an edge?

 would say that I like to post things that are not a part of the fashion/food blogging world. One time I did a post on the Dr.Horrible bit that was in the 2009 Emmy's and I got a good response from it, even it was only two comments. :P So expect more posts like that.





No comments: