Thursday, November 17, 2011

Peanut Butter Chews

The holiday season is when everyone's baking guns come out. At work potlucks, everyone brings a dessert and I'm no different. While I like trying to bake new things, such as attempting to bake a pie this season, for the most part I like to stick to my tried and true recipes. Peanut Butter Chews is one of them. I wish take credit for this peanut butter goodness, but it came from a recipe book that one of my relatives gave to my family twenty years ago. I remember baking this the first time and bringing them to work and they were an instant hit that I would bake them all the time and eventually gave my co-workers the recipe. Now you can try the recipe yourself. 


Peanut Butter Chews
 
Recipe by Stacie H. from the Sony San Diego Family Cookbook

Ingredients
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2/3 cups margarine (I use butter when I make it)
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups coconut (or 1 cup oatmeal)
  • 1 cup of milk chocolate chips (optional)

Directions

 Combine sugars, peanut butter, margarine (or butter), vanilla, and eggs in large mixing bowl and cream.

 Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut together. For my twist in the recipe, I also add 1 cup of milk chocolate chips. 


Add 1/2 to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly. Add the rest and mix. 

Spread in greased oblong pan and about 1/2 inch thick. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 to 30 minutes. Cut into squares while still warm. Spread with thin powdered sugar frosting or leave plain. 

There you have it, Peanut Butter Chews. They are great hot from the oven but taste even better the next day. Make sure you put it in a sealed contained so it doesn't get stale. The chews pair well with a cold glass of milk. 

What are your go to baking recipes?


No comments: