Monday, October 3, 2011

Style Inspirations: Picnic at Hanging Rock

When it comes to scary movies, I like those that have a physiological, suspenseful, and mysterious bent. The ones where it's more of an unseen force or apparition rather than someone with a mask wielding a knife that the characters need to fend off. I was more freaked out by The Grudge than Scream. One movie that gave me the creeps after I watched it is the 1975 Peter Weir film, Picnic at Hanging Rock.




A summary about the film:

Three students and a school teacher disappear on an excursion to Hanging Rock, in Victoria, Australia on Valentine's Day, 1900. Widely (and incorrectly) regarded as being based on a true story, the movie follows those that disappeared, and those that stayed behind, but it delights in the asking of questions, not the answering of them. - IMDB



Screen caps from Adore Vintage

It might not be your typical scary movie, it's unfolds at a much slower pace, but it does make you think twice about hiking up rocky terrain in the Australian heat. Of course another thing I liked was the costuming in the film. Although it is set in the 1900s, there is a slight 70s influence since brands like Gunne Sax and Young Edwardian were popular at the time. Styles like this are still influential and you can see it in brands like Rodarte, Charles Anastase, or Lover. The outfits I picked give a nod to the costuming in the film but while still being modern to wear in real life.
Picnic at Hanging Rock #1

Picnic at Hanging Rock #2

Picnic at Hanging Rock #4

Picnic at Hanging Rock #3


2 comments:

Laurel Walker said...

Words cannot express how much I love this post. I'm absolutely digging it. :) Love the style, love the subject, you're pretty awesome. 
http://one-girl-vs-world.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

Thanks so much! I enjoy making these post and I'm glad that you like them. :)